Saturday, November 18, 2006

And David sent and inquired about the woman. And one said, "Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, THE WIFE OF URIAH THE HITTITE?" 2 Sam 11:3

I was reading a book this week by Francine Rivers called "Unspoken" about David and Bathsheba. I was reminded of God's mercy and Grace. In the book, after the death of her first child Bathsheba turns to the Lord. She is sorry for the death of her son, and for the whole situation. Bathsheba comes to a point where she is trusting in the Lord and relies upon him for strength. I read this prayer by Bathsheba as she is worshipping. This was after David had taken her for a wife and everyone knows about the adultry between her and David, and the murder of Uriah. Bathsheba goes to worshio the Lord and prays to him:

But, O , how can I ever hold my head up again? When I sing praises to You, Lord, people glare at me as though I'm blaspheming. They came to worship You and see me among the women, and thier hearts are turned away from you as they nurture thoughts of vengence.

This was a huge wake up call to me. Am I living my life so that when the people around me see me worshiping they don't see it as blasphemous or hypocritical. May I never give anyone a reason for their heart to be turned from God during worship because of my sin. I want to set an example of godliness, truth, and righteousness. I can't do this on my own, but with God's help I can overcome sin and temptation. He does provide ways out, its just up to us to take notice of those ways and then take them. We always justify our sin to make it right in our own eyes, and "thier is a way that seems right to man, but in the end it leads to death." Christ is our strength and through him we can do anything.

In the end, David and Bathsheba both learned of God's greater mercy and forgiveness, and I am reminded that the same forgiveness that was extended to King David and Bathsheba can also be extended to me if I will only ask. More importantly, his strength is also available in order for me to overcome sin and temptation, but when I fail, his mercy and forgiveness awaits me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home